Car accidents can happen anytime and anywhere. Some accidents are minor and can simply be avoided. Others are major and may cause serious injuries. That’s why it’s so important that you’re prepared.
What just happened? Why did this happen? Who is going to pay for the damages? The accident victim may need legal support for what to do after an injury. When that happens, a person is referred to a personal accident lawyer who is qualified in negotiation car accident settlements with insurance companies.
Having represented numerous people in this manner over my many years of practice, I have come up with some simple guidelines for my clients and their family members to help make this difficult decision making process somewhat easier:
- Get copies of everything related to the accident: You should get a copy of the police report, the insurance documents, and any witness statements.
- Review the police report: If you get in a car accident, the police report will help your lawyer. This report should identify the parties involved and any damage to the vehicles.
- Identify all possible parties: The police report should identify who all is involved in the car accident. If a police officer was driving the car that hit yours, the officer’s name should be in the report. If a friend was driving the car that hit yours, and your friend was under 21 or was driving without a license, the police should report this. If another party was involved, such as another driver, passenger or pedestrian, their name should be in the report.
- Find out if there is a police report: If you were asked to fill out a police report, you should review it and make sure it is correct.
- Contact your insurance company: You should provide the insurance company with your name and information about the accident.
- Contact the at-fault driver’s insurance company: After a car accident, you should contact the at-fault driver’s insurance company and provide details of the incident.
- Contact the at-fault driver: If you have been in a car accident, contact the driver who caused the accident. This will require that you collect the other driver’s information.
Determination of the amount of damage
The amount of compensation you receive depends on how severe the damage was to your property. If you want to get more compensation, you might want to present further evidence about the severity of the damage to your property.
Again, your insurance company is likely paying you a minimum amount for your medical bills. If this isn’t enough to cover all your expenses, you may have grounds to submit additional claims.
First, you should collect all of your medical bill receipts from the emergency room, the doctor’s office, and the physical therapy clinic. These should show all of your expenses, not just the ones that were covered by your insurance company.
Next, you should request a complete copy of your medical records from the hospital, doctor’s office, and physical therapy clinic. While you can probably gather most of the information you need from these records, it’s always good to have a complete copy.
Then, it’s time to formally submit your additional claims. You can file these additional claims on your own, but it’s best to work with an experienced personal injury lawyer.
If you miss work due to an accident, you may suffer significant losses. Depending on the nature of your injuries, you cannot work while you are recovering. Therefore, you may not have an income to support your family. Your health insurance may pay for your lost income, but out of your own pocket, you may also have to incur expenses.
Also, you can receive additional compensation for your vehicle when you are involved in an accident. The insurance companies generally do not pay for damage to your car, but you can file a claim for damage to your car.
Pain and suffering
The severity of your injuries, as well as any mental anguish you experience due to an accident, can also impact the amount of compensation you receive.
Remember, you may receive a higher settlement amount than the amount of damages you have incurred. However, if the amount is too low, don’t hesitate to settle your claim. In order to determine how much you should receive for your losses, you should analyze all the losses and then decide how much you wish to be paid.
Consulting with a personal injury attorney can help ensure you get the compensation you deserve.
Car accident settlement
In many cases, an insurance company’s settlement offer is not final. Some companies will agree to pay out damages, but not based on the exact offer you received. They may also refuse to make any offers at all. If the insurance company comes back to you and changes the terms of the offer, you can decide whether to accept the offer. It’s up to you to decide whether the settlement is acceptable.
You may want to consult a car accident lawyer if you do not agree with the settlement offer. If the insurance company does not stick to the agreement, you may want to take them to
There may be a time limit on when you can file a lawsuit, so it’s important to contact a car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
If you’re considering accepting an insurance company settlement offer, it’s usually best to take a 30-day hiatus. Why?
Because you don’t know what effect accepting the settlement offer will have on your driving history. If you decide to accept it, the first thing you will need to do is notify the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
California Vehicle Code Section 14601(f) authorizes the DMV to suspend your driver’s license for “any period of time” for “failure to report” an accident or injury. That can be up to two years, depending on how long the suspension is, unless your DMV record shows you’ve registered in another state.
If you file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver, it can have additional consequences. For instance, the California Code of Civil Procedure Section 475.3(c) requires you to “file and serve a lawsuit” within six months of the accident. If you don’t, it may be dismissed.
A good lawyer will know how to negotiate with insurance companies to get a fair settlement offer. He or she will also know how to convince them that you deserve more than they’re offering. A good personal injury lawyer will know how to prepare you for a legal battle. If you’ve been injured or lost a loved one in an accident, contact a law firm immediately.